Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Borrowed Clothes

3 comments:

HomoDM said...

“Sinchi is dead,” Flavius began gravely, his forced cheerfulness slipping. “We had been assigned to help convey supplies and an individual of interest from Suthervale to His Excellency’s capital, but during last night’s storm we were attacked. By Elves.” The last word is spat in hatred, if only to mask his grief.

“Flying Hurensöhne!” He curses. “We had barely heard the first peal of thunder before they were upon us, swooping down like skyfire. There were only three of them that I saw, yet they were able to kill Sinchi and six soldiers with the utmost ease! I felt like they were after us. After me! I barely escaped with my life…”

Unable to hold back any longer, he begins to weep.

“I am ashamed to admit this, Dorey, so ashamed – but I hid. I rolled under one of the wagons and lay there until they were gone, feigning unconsciousness. Forgive me, old friend! It shall not happen again, I swear it!”

Flavius is not the man you once knew. Gone is the swaggering bully, the cocksure libertine, the promising talent both admired and feared.

He continues: “As gladdened as I am to see you again, part of me wishes it were not so – at least, not under these circumstances. I do not think I could stand to lose another friend.”

“I cannot shake the feeling that they will be back. I have committed the most damaging Blütekreise and Wurfkreise to memory should my misgivings prove valid. As for you, I recommend that you focus your efforts on keeping us alive.”

“In the event that I do die, I pray that it will be an honorable, manly end. Would that you take possession of my Kreisebuch, and deliver my genolith back to the Guild.”

da solomon said...

With barely a look over his shoulder to Varel, Salbadore answered the elder Hausbruder's question. "Aye, I've lost a bit of weight, and there's a lot to tell. But what is the news, Faney?"

"Sinchi is dead."

Salbadore tried to listen carefully to the details of his brother's end, but found himself drifting into memories of better times.

As Stefane began to cry, Salbadore gripped his shoulder. He tried to be firm, to show the same resolution that he had learned from Stefane in the earliest months of his training at the Lebenskraft Guildhaus, but his strength had not yet fully returned. Salbadore found himself leaning on his weeping friend.

"You have no need to ask my forgiveness. You are alive and that is well." After a thoughtful pause, he continued, "If we meet the scabs what killed Sinchi, the lot I'm with will see to their end. Be sure, my brother! The lass with the wolf back there - she's with me and we have a Bauenmann with unbelievable strength as well." Salbadore takes Stefane's hand firmly in his. "I've heard your requests and I will honor them as you like. But brother! With you at our side, we'll surely cut the gimps down."

Sema4 said...

Varel is taken aback by the emotions of the moment, and begins to tear up herself. "Now I'm filled with sorrow too... I don't even know what I'm crying about." :*(

She begins walking into the tavern then stops and turns suddenly to Salbadore. She rummages through her pockets and eventually produces a small bite sized fruit.

"Here, have a goodberry. It's really really good. Sometimes I want to call them greatberries because they make me fell all good and AWESOME inside."

At Salbadore's confused look Varel suddenly becomes self conscious. "I better go inside now and let you two catch up." With that she begins walking in the tavern door.